Sunday, April 29, 2012

Beard Tales

'Gillette' is nothing but an aberration because men were always supposed to be stubbled and breaded!!!

15 days back as I stood in front of the mirror still groggy eyed and not yet ready to take on the world,I resolved for the 1245678955th time in my life that at worst every weekend, yes every weekend I will shave my stubble and there will be a Monday in my corporate life when I will report to duty clean shaven.

A lot of water has flown under the bridge since then(I have masterfully translated this one I think!!) or should I say a lot of hair has grown on my face since then and yet I think come tomorrow I will again resolve the same for the 1245678956th time, knowing fully well that nothing is going to change.

Watching my dad each and every day since I remember turning up religiously in front of his shaving mirror hanging right over the wash basin with his shaving soap and safety razor, I always looked forward to the day when I would emulate him atleast at this. So when the first signs of facial hair showed up I was almost ecstatic and right away wanted my very own shaving kit.

Sooner than later the novelty wore off and it quickly became an overhead. I remember questioning my dad not so long ago about what really drives him each day to get that shave done and he just looked at me amusingly with a "What you talking about Willis!!!??" look. He was so used to this ritual that it was a non issue for him. But that is not the case with me. I have an issue a really big issue with all this.

I have never been one for a routine or a schedule. I mean by the time the week ends I have to even drag myself to brush my teeth so you can imagine what a daily or even a weekly shave will do to me. When you add work stress to this mixture what you get is a cranky bearded me who typically has a stale breathe of overnight dal and rice with a hint of bud.

The question after two weeks is not whether I should shave off the stubble, I mean ofcourse I have to, what with folks at work giving me that 'ohh that wasted guy!!!' look and the managers already thinking what impression this might have on the client but how should I do it with minimal effort. The bare minimum 'use n throw' Gillette Presto is really not upto the task I am sure. So the thought which has just struck me is that maybe a new trimmer can help me.

However now that I have spent quite sometime with my beard, I have started to feel a certain affinity towards it. A type of the 'Stockholm Syndrome' if you may, almost like my beard has me hostage. Not the first time this beard has been playing tricks on my mind, but just for the heck of it I think I will let the beard win this time around.

This is me as seen today morning :)






2 comments:

Amit Parulkar said...

I thought this one would come soon after VS's comment (hope you can guess who i am talking about). Nevertheless, some things never change. (wouldn't shaving yourself been an easier option, over writing such a big blog?) :P

Advait Borate said...

I do what I do :P