Saturday, April 14, 2012

The BackSeat Boys

In a month's time I will complete a year here. In the 11 months I have spent here till now, I could not manage even to get myself a driver's permit. It was not a lack of opportunity but a lack of necessity and to some extent my foolishness. Lack of necessity for my roommates/flatmates already had cars and were always at my beck and call and foolishness because a couple of months back I did try attempting the online knowledge test which is a precursor to the actual road test and I failed to clear it. As things stand, I was the only guy in quite sometime in my group to flunk that test. Ohh the shame!!!! Well now I am over it but I have not still planned for that retest as this time I want to make it good...

The sum total of the blabbering above is that I have spent not a single waking moment of my life here behind the wheel in the car. My existence has largely being confined to the backseat and over time I have realized that this is a sign from God, that maybe the universe is conspiring for maybe I am not meant to drive but be driven around *grinning widely as I think of it*


Just the other day a friend sold off his car and was thrown from behind the wheel up my alley - the backseat. He was obviously feeling a bit out of sorts, so I decided to put his mind at ease and started extolling the virtues of being on the backseat:

1) You don't ever have to be on your toes. You can sit back, relax and do whatever you want without worrying where exactly that next exit is or why the cop car is following us. Its the driver's headache.

2) Now that you have all the time in the world, you can either act stupid, or act cool. Its your choice, simple.

3) You can crane your neck whichever way you want to get a glimpse at the driver of the trailer which is just passing you.

4) If virtue 3 is too taxing, maybe you can day-dream as to how the trailer will transform itself into Optimus Prime and call you Sam Witwicky!!

5) You can gaze at the other cooler cars - the Cadillacs, Bentleys or the roof down convertibles passing by on the freeway.

6) You can just gaze at the greenery or wilderness on both sides of the road and if you are lucky, you can even spot a deer or two.

7) You can down the arm-rest and practically lean on it and feel even more relaxed.

8) You can easily enjoy your coffee which you just picked from the Dunkin Drive Thru without caring that what if you have brake suddenly while sipping the coffee as the driver always thinks about when he is stealing a sip of his coffee.

9) You can tweet about things passing by and also catch up on other social media, that way you never feel disconnected.

10) You don't really have to bother about the insurance, fuel and ofcourse the maintenance of the car.

10 virtues were good enough to label the back-seat as a make-shift 'lounge'. Actually by virtue number 6 I knew that my friend was seeing the light but I had to make it 10 just so that we fist-bump to a loud cheer of 'BackSeat Boys' which did unsettle our driver-friend I must say!!!

But then the BackSeat Boys don't really care...do they???

1 comment:

prachi said...

D new looks is totally awesome, n easy to load so I could read it on my bb.
N also manage a decent comment! Great going :-)