Wednesday, April 08, 2009

The Household Lizard- Much Ado About Nothing



George Orwell in this famous novel “Animal Farm” writes “Four legs good, two legs bad!!” I don’t agree (well I know this is being taken a bit of context). Out of the four legged creatures roaming on the planet the species which I despise the most is the cockroach and the species which I fear the most is the Household Lizard. This does not mean I am not scared of the great hunters like the tiger, lion cheetah etc. but the thing is that I have never encountered them outside a zoo and therefore I am not really in a position to comment.

Day before yesterday around 5:45AM when I was sleeping a bit too soundly in my bed (bed meaning only the mattress, I don’t own a bed and so sleep on the mattress spread on the floor) I got a tingly feeling near my right ear. After a few moments I jerked my head to get rid of the nuisance and behold!! Right next to my head and near my iPod laid a small household lizard. I am sure it was a lizard and nothing else as in the early morning light I could make out the shape of the vermin :(

I woke up with a start and immediately switched on the lights of the room, but predictably the lizard was nowhere to be seen. It had concealed itself under the loads of “pasara” (marathi word meaning “a mess”) I had so effortlessly assembled around my bed :) . I went to bed after half an hour thinking if the lizard is intelligent enough to trace the same path again and again. I knew that at least elephants have a sharp memory to remember the path they took earlier and also to avoid a particular path incase of any dangers they had sensed there earlier.

I think the lizard is not intelligent enough, as yesterday night I never got a tingly feeling or maybe it is even more intelligent, it is playing the waiting wanting me to believe that it will never and then it will make a comeback and maybe bite off my ear or something.

Bite off my ear!!!! Are household lizards harmful or do they believe in peaceful co-existence with human feeding on flies, and other small insects? I don’t know but then to tell you the truth I never thought of it. Maybe the adjective ‘household’ is meant to convey something. But then I cannot be sure until I get some dope on this. I goggled and this is what I got:

Household lizards are not at all dangerous on the other hand they are pretty useful in controlling the spread of small insects like flies and cockroaches. Now my flat has cockroaches, this might be a good sign :) :) :). Nonetheless below are the techniques to get rid of lizards!!!!

Using Peacock Feathers: (By far the most imaginative technique I have come across ) The funda is peacocks feed on lizards and also it is not feasible to have a peacock as your pet so use peacock feathers. The lizards will be scared. So stick peacock feathers on the ceiling and on the walls or places where lizards frequent in your house and wait did I mention that peacock feathers being colorful will add an aura to your place :)

Scaring Pests with Pets : (I don’t have Pets .No elaboration here)

Lizards follow Lights: (And I thought Lizards were nocturnal :) :) ) Lizards are usually seen in well-lit places. Turn off the lights in your room when you’re not around so they won’t hang out in there. Turn off the lights when you go to bed. This way, you do not just save power; you also give the lizards a curfew. Always keep places dark where you usually see them, as often as you can. Lizards often run away to escape. To find them, turn off the lights inside the room, get a flashlight and light up a corner of the room. You can easily find them because their big eyes reflect the light, twinkling like stars. If they do not make a move when you direct a light on them, then that is the best time to terminate them.

Keeping your place clean: (Hell, I ain’t ever gonna do that. No elaboration here)
Use of Pesticides: (NO..I am a nature guy ..psst..I don’t take ayurvedic medicines though once in a while I use MEDIMIX :) :))

5 ways to get rid of lizards!!! Can you believe it…
As Shakespeare rightly said “Much Ado About Nothing!!!!”

4 comments:

Nightflier said...

eeewww.. One near an ear (it rhymes :D) sounds scary man!!
Better try all the remedies :P

Anonymous said...

arrrghhh! im so scared of lizards. i've got this rash on neck. i think its mild case of herpes (as chicken pox & herpes are doing rounds since past 6 months). but some ppl hav told me that the brown household lizards may cause this wth their saliva or excreta etc.

im sooooooo scared, i've nightmares abt them.

now... i cant find any reference to skin rash by this indian house lizard. anyone???

Neha Chakke said...

it reminded me of Abir Ganguly's lizard (read My friend Sancho)....wonder if this one at ur pl too had a crush on u or something :P

Anonymous said...

[b]Supreme Search Engine[/b]

[i]A powerful new search engine on the Net! Find information and websites on the Internet. [/i]

[url=http://www.supremesearch.net]Supreme Search Engine[/url]

[url=http://www.supremesearch.net][img]http://www.supremesearch3000.bravehost.com/Mini.jpg[/img][/url]