Friday, February 01, 2013

The Urban Squirrel

Just when you think that maybe this is the worst it can get and that tomorrow will be a warm sunny day, an overnight blizzard dumps inches of snow curdling any thoughts of enthusiasm. That is what has been happening off late. Not that you will see my frolicking about on the sidewalks of because the sun is out in its full glory, but then atleast I will be cheerful enough to get to office for once. If wishes were horses…

I must give credit to the human body. It sure learns to adapt to what is thrown at it. Looking at the 'weather.com' app has become a daily ritual. Not only because it makes for good conversation, but also because you can be mentally prepared to face the elements. I know this is illogical, but then I have come to believe that temperatures in Fahrenheit are colder than the same in Celsius!!! For once the feelings have gained importance because the 'Feels like' column on the 'weather.com' app is what true feelings are all about.

 It is just amazing to think that in this day and age when I think of my life in Des Moines, I am reminded of a squirrel – The Urban Squirrel. Allow me to explain.

The squirrel as I understand is a hoarder. It comes out when the weather is agreeable and forages, collecting whatever it is it eats and saving it all for a rainy day, in my case a snowy day. Now when I think of it I am no different. I forage for food, collecting items from Walmart or the Indian store and yeah I sure am a hoarder, especially in this weather. Not to mention, only when the weather is agreeable do I plan my journey to Walmart and the Indian store. Items like milk, bread, eggs are hoarded for that snowy day when more often than not I run out of veggies to cook and maybe rotis as well. In all of this my respect for rice and dal and ofcourse the variety of beans has reached sky high!!! There are days when I think I should come up with an elaborate ritual to honor the uncooked pasta which is a savior in its own way, or wear a crown made of eggshells for they serve a much higher purpose than we give them credit for.

All said and done, I do see that it is going to turn warmer over the weekend. Maybe then the squirrel can come out again and do its thing and be ready for the next snowy day!!!!

1 comment:

nightflier said...

I just imagined you strutting like a squirrel. Purpose served!