Monday, July 30, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises...I am cool now!!

This is a follow up blog to my earlier blog on the same movie where I had pointed out a few things which didn't really work for me. Here's the link to the earlier blog incase you missed it: 



Quite a few of my friends (including one Anon.) came to my rescue on reading the earlier blog and helped me straighten out a few things for which I am really thankful. Apart from the comments which you guys left, I also got into lengthy chats (discussions) with a few (read two) of my friends on my movie and literally that is all I have been doing the last two days. You will say that this guy has a hell lot of time to spare, but yes you are quite correct and the earlier occasion where I spent this much time after watching a movie has to be Inception. Isn't it a sweet coincidence that even that was a Nolan creation!!! 

So finally I agree that Bruce Wayne did get the auto pilot corrected six months back and the Bat with the nuke hanging had a perfectly working autopilot on board. Now it a different matter that I am not utterly convinced that Bruce Wayne could have corrected the auto pilot all by himself, for I have my reservations about the technical skills of Bruce. Never before have we been shown that Bruce Wayne likes to tinker with technology and I again for the umpteenth time get recluse in a certain Tony Stark whom you very well know as the Iron Man. However I am ready to forgo that trivial detail for the ending which I have now been enlightened about doing the rounds on different fan forums on the internet. Here it goes:

Bruce Wayne fixed the autopilot. The Batman didn't employ the autopilot and went on with the Bat and yes the nuke attached to it up over the ocean. The simple reason for this which I am ready to digest being that the Batman did not want to leave the fate of Gotham city on some goddamn autopilot. The autopilot has been likened to the rope which the prisoners used to get out of the pit however remember that Bruce Wayne got out without the aid of the rope because it was his fate to say Gotham city on his own. In the same vein towards the ending of the movie Batman used no autopilot and went out on his own because that is what he wanted to do. 

So did the Batman/Bruce Wayne die? Well yes he did. And that is what he wanted to do. He wanted to let everybody understand that now there is no Batman to save you, so each one has to be the Batman in his/her own right. Remember, 'There is a Batman in each one of us'!!!

Its fine till here. How do they explain Alfred seeing Bruce Wayne in Florence? Well Alfred is dreaming or should I say hallucinating in his grief. Alfred has always pictured Bruce that way and so when Bruce is dead it is but natural for Alfred to imagine that. Note that Alfred never talks about with whom specifically he wanted to see Bruce other than merely mentioning that his companion would be his wife, or should I say a lady. Likewise, Alfred does see a lady with Bruce who does look like like Selena Kyle but should I point out that Alfred never sees her face, goes it follows its Bruce he has always wanted to see there and so he does.

Am I a Batman fan you might ask, what with finding solace with an ending where the Batman eventually dies? I wouldn't answer that question but I would most certainly say that this explanation of the ending fits my bill and I must say rounds off the experience of yet another Nolan movie for me!!!

Here's were I got what I got from:



May the Bat be with you!!! ;)

P.S: Hope the Anon. identifies himself this time around :)

P.S.S: I mean the Batman when I say Bat and not the copter :P

5 comments:

Guz said...

I saw it as the batman dieing too but only to the people in Gotham city...He fixed the auto pilot but everyone in the city thinks he died but what batman actually does is pretends to die in order to life a normal life and hand over the reins to robin...bc he's worthy of the duty to protect Gotham...Alfred seeing Bruce and Selina Kyle is real bc I don't see the purpose of him dreaming of a woman that he thinks is just a thief and doesn't know she is catwoman and helped batman out

Advait Borate said...

The only issue i hv wit tht is then robin operating without a batman...robin has always been a sidekick for me. Not sure if Nolan wants to potray it differently

Kalicharan said...

I don't think Batman died....something as cool as the Batplane (or whatever the hell it is called) would have a smaller pod like thing which Batman could've used to eject and fly away into the sunset...but then again, I am a fanboy!

And great write up man....kudos! Typical me getting my two cents in, before even bothering to pay respects to the master!

Sagar Kale सागर काळे said...

Batman does not die. He and Catwoman use that thing that erases all your records. It's not a chick flick to show them kissing just before he is taking the plane with the bomb. It has some meaning. She saves him from Bane while she said earlier that she is gonna run after clearing the tunnel.

And welcome to the Nolan fan club!

Anonymous said...

Personally I felt the DKR movie wasn't as good as the Dark Knight(DK)and was a let down. However DK was more about the Joker than Batman himself which is a different story altogether.

Getting back to DKR, the biggest flaw in the movie for me was the end when Batman flies in the Batplane (called 'The Bat' in the movie) when there is 1 minute for the bomb to detonate. Earlier in the movie they say the bomb has 6 mile devastation radius. Even assuming that 'The Bat' reaches maximum speed instantaneously it would need to have traveled at 6 mi/minute = 360 miles per hour speed which is approximately half the speed of sound. We need to assume he ejected when the Bat was over water and sufficiently away from the eyesight of Gotham residents. If he ejected after 25 seconds he would still be in a 3 mile radius of the nuclear bomb explosion that would occur in the next 30 seconds. So the reasoning that Batman survived by using the ejection seat seems implausible. (However in the movie they certainly indicate that he survived).

Lot of other things were unexplainable. Cat-woman being expert at the Bat mobile with a simple 'I got it' in 2 seconds is ludicrous! :D Personally I felt Anne Hathway did a poor job in the role. Infact I found her irritating in the role. She is not even beautiful! The film only did well as it was part of the Batman Trilogy. If a similar movie was made in Bollywood the same gentlemen who praise DKR would have panned the Bollywood version!

Sandesh