Sunday, May 03, 2009

FUCK the SUN!!! - A tribute to Sanman a.k.a Sunny

The mercury is giving no signs of going down. With the maximum day temperatures in Pune touching around 44 deg Celsius, this summer is sure sucking the life out of the city. Its hell being on the road in the afternoons with the hot breeze pinning you down. A multitude of stalls selling Neera, limbu pani and the likes have come up on the roadside no doubt but the heat is killing nonetheless.

"Yaar par tujhe kya problem hoga heat ka. Tu toh software main hai na. Full AC office main baitha hoga" this is what even you will think. But don’t forget these are difficult times we live in. Software companies are vying with each other to be innovative in coming up with ways of cost cutting. So one company takes out the toilet papers from its restrooms the other does the unthinkable, they regulate the AC’s and it so happens that the floor on which I am seated gets the cold shoulder and not the cold air.

So software or no software….the fucking heat is everywhere (pardon me the expletives, but its damn irritating, who kya hai India main spring naam ka season nahi hota na ;) ). So how do you beat the heat. I have a cosmic way of doing it (I have learnt it from Sunny) and I have put it in the blog so that it helps a wider audience. Also this is my way of paying tribute to Sunny, one of my dear friends.

In the first year of engg I shared a room with Sunny. This dude had a major issue with the heat. Well back then the mercury level was not that high, but then we were living in the COEP hostels which were to some extent devoid of decent ventilation and may I add working ceiling fans too. Plus we did not have vehicles so in the heat we had to walk down to the college too. And all this did take a toll on poor old Sunny. He became cranky and edgy and then in a moment of creative glory, while he was applying some prickly heat powder to his underarms he gave out a cry, “FUCK THE SUN!!!!”

I don’t know how, but the moment the exclamation was made a cool breeze made its way through the windows. There was a sort of calmness which descended over Sunny’s face as if after the mantra had been said, no heat, no sun could make him sweat!!!!


And so the remaining summer went with the invocation of this mantra whenever necessary and the heat could do us no harm!!!

The other day in the afternoon when I was enjoying a cold glass of sugarcane juice this mantra came back to me (after 6 years). How foolish I was; I always had the wisdom to counter the heat but I was ignorant. I closed my eyes, concentrated a bit and there came Sunny in front of my eyes, dressed only in his boxers applying that prickly heat powder to his underarms. He looked at me and then he shouted “FUCK THE SUN!!!”

That cool breeze I experienced when the first time he had uttered the mantra came back to put me at ease. I gulped the remaining juice paid the money and looking up at the sky shouted "FUCK THE SUN. This is for you SUNNY!!!! "

Sunny is not in India these days, maybe the heat doesn’t bother him much there in the U S of A but he very selflessly has given us all a mantra to survive this global warming. As they say “Its All in the MIND!!!”

No comments: