Sunday, May 17, 2020

The Office Space

It didn't take long for a few weeks to turn to a 'few too many' and now even those seem 'too few'. Terms like 'Social Distancing', 'Flatten the Curve' became a mantra almost overnight and people wherever possible were asked to 'work from home (WFH)'.

In the not so distant past WFH meant that you had only to appear 'available'. Nobody really expected you to move mountains on that day. The heavy lifting could always be left for tomorrow when you were to go to office. Considering this, setting up an office space at home was never a priority.

3 weeks sitting awkwardly on the sofa, with the laptop placed on a low rise coffee table I realized that this was not going to work. 'Necessity is the mother of invention' and I went about transforming a corner of my abode into an office space. 

I considered 'Work from Home' to be an oxymoron, but I must admit that I have been enjoying it these past few weeks. I do miss the office banter, quick lunches even my second monitor but on the other hand I have been able to 'dress as I like' and most importantly better manage work so that I end up spending more time with the family. 

Even if it seems that I have more than adjusted to this new norm, I hope it does not continue longer. The implications, if it does, would be far worse.

I leave you with a pic of my office space. Its a work in progress. I am still dilly dallying about getting myself a monitor and a spare keyboard mouse. Its not much but its 'The Office Space'.


No comments: