Thursday, November 08, 2012

The GR Reading Challenge and the Fight to the finish!!!

At the start of 2012 I took to GoodReads (GR) in a big way - stacking up my 'Read' book-shelf, rating books, connecting with people on GR and in general just getting used to idea of connecting with people via books. I have always liked to read. Infact 'books n booze' has been my advice to all those forlorn souls as well. It did work for me more than once if may I add so it could work for you. If it doesn't, you would atleast end up reading – a good thing after all.
My inclination to GR was also fueled by the fact that I got a dump of more than 900+ books from Sayantan for my Kindle. So I no longer had to worry about from where my next book was coming. I just had to browse through the Kindle and pick any book which caught my fancy. In the midst of all this I signed up for the GR Reading Challenge 2012.

The GR Reading Challenge 2012 is a challenge you set for yourself that before 2012 (or any year for that matter) draws to a close I would have read 'X' number of books. Thinking highly of myself and in a very jolly mood I put up a figure of 50. Roughly speaking just a book a week and I was good. Naively I thought to myself that this seems to be one challenge, one resolution that I would definitely complete with ease.
The first 8 days of November 2012 have already gone by and my GR Reading Challenge 2012 gadget stares at me with a 'You have read 33 books towards your goal of 50 books'. As if this is not enough, the widget also tells me that at my present rate I am 9 books (19%) behind!!! Now it sure looks like a challenge.
So what is the gameplan? You ask. Here it is:
1)      Get time…READ.
2)      The Classics can wait…looking for page-turners.
3)      Kindle Singles costing $0.00 and under 200pgs are a God sent.
4)      No I am not going to stoop so low as to re-read the 'Hardy Boys' and 'Nancy Drew' J Even readers have ethics!!!
5)      Switch to audibles. I actually tried one and it was free and worth just 2 hours. Didn't like the entire experience as such but atleast it added a book towards my challenge.
You might think that this is not way how reading is supposed to be. But believe me reading with your adrenaline pumping is a totally different experience!!!
Ohh yeah no Thanksgiving getaways and year end bashes for me either. Working towards a much bigger goal you see \m/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude.. you are going for quantity over quality. Ain't right.
Read lesser books but better books. You will never read War and Peace because it is 600 pages long? I get the race against target excitement, but still...
Think about it.

Advait Borate said...

Hmm..well i thought about it..and in my defense i would say that i am not reading crap :) maybe at th end of the year i will write about what books i read. Talking specifically about War and Peace..ill dnt think i will get close to it anytime sooner. Reading challenge or no reading challenge :)