Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Here...There...Everywhere - A Oct 2012 Story

The October of this year has been all over the place, or if I would have been Mr Obama and you Mr Romney in the last presidential debate I would have said : The October of this year has been 'all over the map'!!!


What else can you expect from a month which started off by boarding the AA flight back to Des Moines from Austin? A week after that I went to watch a NFL game - KC Chiefs v/s Baltimore Ravens. I know the Chiefs suck and that I prefer the Patriots to the Ravens when it comes to the AFC, but then for purely logistical reasons this was the game to watch. Keep in mind that Kansas City is a 3hr drive from Des Moines. I did have this inkling that somehow the Chiefs would sneak past the Ravens but then let me leave it at that. The fans gave the Chiefs QB more than an earful not to mention the cheers he got when he left the field injured which later was labelled inhuman both by the players and reporters alike. Though what exactly was I doing at that moment I cannot recollect as I write this but in all probability I would not have cheered :) It was a game of FG's which the Ravens won and I narrowly missed seeing two TD's. The first TD attempt was fumbled by the Chief's QB as he tried to rush to the endzone and the second was pulled back after a flag was thrown on the play. It is an entirely different matter that on the field I was not able to make sense what the flag was all about, neither did I pursue it later. All said and done, it was surely a good experience. One I would want to do again albiet on a bigger stage, say a Pats v/s Jets or a Packers game.

A week later I was off to San Diego on a self proclaimed long weekend. I took leave from work on the Monday. Though later I had to run my mouth dry trying to explain to quite a few folks the rationale behind me spending 3 days visiting a single city I must say I had a great time. Thanks to the 3 days the trip was unhurried and relaxing in the true sense. For once I shunned the Indian inside me and didnt rush to see those 6 places I had marked as must see in half a day!!! Must mention that the San Diego Sea World was awesome and so were the beaches of Mission Bay, Conorado and La Jolla.

By now I was enjoying the whole 'being on the run' thing and so I planned to spend a weekend with friends down in Minneapolis. It was more of visiting them than seeing the place, though I did get quite a few good clicks at Fort Snelling (which was closed for the season) and Minnehaha Falls (which was awesome but for the falls, which I couldn't locate). Had great home cooked food and a lot of old office gossip to make the visit memorable. Apart from that the Jefferson Lines bus which I took both to and fro impressed me to no end. The on-time performance for a 6 hr journey was impeccable. I surely will travel with them again in the near future.

This weekend is the last weekend of this month and I am thankful that I am going to be home. Somebody has to do the laundry and what about the Sunday NFL games which I have missing, not to mention that I am yet to get a win in my fantasy league but hell I do enjoy it!!!

The upside of the travelling has been the pics on FB, the mega points I gathered on 4sq all this in the social media sense. The downside : the feeling that I should this more often :P

No comments: