Saturday, March 07, 2009

Living Out of a Suitcase

Its been nearly six years since I set foot outside my home in Nashik and looking at things right now I don’t think I will ever be able to get back to my home in Nashik as it used to be six years ago.

I left Nashik to pursue my engineering studies after Std XII. Mom did insist to take admission in the engineering college in Nashik itself. Not that it was bad but then the college in Pune was much better and also I had scored well in Std XII exams to get the coveted engineering seat.

In my initial years in the engineering college I used to go home as and when time permitted, many times bunking classes, planning common offs etc. But then as time passed that 5 hour journey started becoming boring. Me, who earlier didn’t mind taking any bus to Nashik started becoming picky about not only the bus but also the bus timing. To avoid the boredom experienced in the journey, night travel became the in thing. Was it all about convenience or was the start of my detachment from Nashik? I never could answer that completely. Convenience is what I labeled it but a few of my friends back in Nashik knew better than that. All of a sudden the CCD’s and the Pizza Hut’s and the newly acquired freedom of roaming the city in nights acted as a worthy kick than my nearby playground or even the building parking back in Nashik where me and my friends used to spend hours together just chatting.

After my engineering I got a job and I moved to Mysore for a period of 4 months and after that I got back to Pune. Its been nearly 3 years since I am working in Pune and the feeling of disconnectedness towards Nashik has definitely increased. But even after spending close to 6 years in Pune I cannot call Pune my home. I look at people around me and I still perceive myself to be an outsider. If, I, who hails from Maharashtra, from Nashik feels this then I cannot imagine what my brethren from outside the state might be going through. But then that is a different issue altogether.

During my engg college days I was termed the hostelite. I was recognized by my unshaven look and half asleep eyes. I also made myself conspicuous by my absence from lectures.

I thought things would change for the better when I got a job but they changed only marginally. I was told be quiet as there were families around. I was a tenant who cannot use the building amenities like the gym, swimming pool etc. I was plainly declined accommodation because I was a bachelor. At the end of the day I was not wanted.

But still I stayed on because my job was here not because I wanted to here. Now I am planning to start my family here. I am planning to buy a house here. With my pay I can afford a bit more luxury than my parents could. But when I look at the flats around me one of which I will surely buy if not today but tomorrow, I do not feel cosy at all. The flats with all the modern amenities seem to me like a hotel room where I would not want to stay forever. How then can I imagine to make a home out of this?

Living out of a suitcase will be a better option I feel. You go to a new place after every 2 years. It would be awesome, a new place, new people, new surroundings. One thing which I don’t know is how viable that can be!!!!!

No comments: