Monday, June 24, 2013

Him and me

I don't categorize myself as an atheist. But then I don't think I am pious either. It is something in between and has a lot to do with my convenience. When I put it that way, it sounds a lot selfish but I have always consoled myself by saying that He doesn't need my burden until it is absolutely necessary like maybe during exams or during days leading up to life changing decisions (don't look surprised I have had my share already!!!)
Religion has more to do with my mother than anybody else. All these years staying away from home, as long as she reminded me of an upcoming festival and ofcourse the dietary restrictions therein I tried to follow them. There were numerous occasions when it slipped my mind even after the reminder and I lied to my mother later just to escape the earful I was sure to get. However through all this, I am pretty sure the relation between Him and me remained the same as that between a Physician and patient barring of course the medical insurance and out of pocket expenses.
Having said all this, when I got myself a car 2 weeks back, mother didn't really know that there are temples close by in this neck of the woods and naturally she didn't say anything about me visiting the temple after the car purchase. However the ladies in the office were a totally different ball-game. Just so to let you guys know I am surrounded by a couple of ladies (Indians) who pride over their desi upbringing and in more ways than one seem even more deep rooted than may I say my grandmother! So when one of the ladies innocently asked "Where is the Prasad? You did visit the temple right, after getting the car?" , I was, well to put it mildly, lost for words.
So this past weekend, I made it a point to visit the temple Saturday morning. Such is the relation between Him and me – until I am reminded next time, I am sure that everybody else will be keeping Him busy!

1 comment:

Nightflier said...

I like going to temples because they are full of positive vibes because so many people come there with their faith and trust in Him. As for my own beliefs I guess I may fall in your category though I do remember important festivals on my own :-)