Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fight on!!!

Human society at large and maybe the Indian psyche in particular has always thrived in comparisons with immediate peers, relations or anybody on whom your eye rests. I have come to believe that the wish to surpass others around you, to do 'one better than them' has helped humans be a better species as a whole.
This 'besting' does lead to strife, for no one wants to end up losing. The best example of 'besting' in recent human history which I can think off is the 'Cold War'. Whether any good came out of it is debatable but it did succeed in giving the human species a certain direction than been pulled into one camp or the other for eternity and that is one big pro which I think came out of this competition other than of course 'Man taking that giant leap for mankind' :)

Thinking micro on this and you will see that these 'comparisons' have always been around you and they will always remain however old you get or however successful you will become. They have been there so long that are essentially a part of our being now. Only recently has the Indian Education system realized that ranking helps no one, no doubt they have adopted a 'grade' system instead. There is no other way than 'comparing' you with somebody else when decisions related to 'promotions' 'scholarships' 'benefits' etc are to be made. Even at your work place, your best is not the best until is it better than your co-worker.

Personally I have always tried to not get affected with these 'comparisons'. Being at the right end of the ranking in my scholastic endeavors did help me no doubt. Thanks to that I can say that was not exactly a victim of the 'rat race'. However the generations to follow would definitely not have it this easy but then if the Darwinian in me to be believed the future generations will be equipped to face the world however crazy it would be then.

The bottom-line still remains you are as 'fit' as the person next to you will allow to be :) Fight on!!!


Image courtesy: http://sketchedout.wordpress.com/2007/11/02/rat-race/

1 comment:

nightflier said...

Its become personal for me I.e. setting standard for how much I want to make meaning out of something I.e. succeed. The moments I get bored frequently I stop trying.
I guess if you are conscious of the rat race you draw a line somewhere and create your own grading system.